Friday, June 28, 2013

"To infinity ...and beyond!"

-Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story


As some of you may already know, I recently cut my hair significantly. I typically do this about once every 3 months, and because of the time gap I always seem to make one very crucial mistake.

Shampoo. Pretty much everyone I know uses the stuff on at least a semi regular basis, as do I. Here's the thing about shampoo though, when my hair is long I basically need to use about infinity of it to get my hair clean. This is a problem because when it comes to showers I am a creature of habit. I do the same thing every time and I don't really put much thought into it. This is fine most of the time, but when I go from lots of hair (and thus requiring lots of shampoo) to short hair, I always end up using waaaaaaaay too much shampoo in that first shower. All that shampoo doesn't like to stay in my hair either, so instead it just kind of goes... well everywhere. And THAT is why I always regret ever giving up Johnson's baby shampoo whenever I cut my hair.

Look how not blinded this baby is even with that much that shampoo
all over the place!

OK OK, now That I have that out of the way (I've been debating about posting on this topic for about a week now). I have a totally different topic that is much more relevant to my header.

As humans I feel the concept of infinity is rarely discussed and even less understood. It's just TOO big. For example, try and think of the biggest number that you can. How big did you get? A Million? A Billion? A Trillion? Quadrillion? Did you get even larger than that? Well even if you did it doesn't matter, however big of a number you came up with it is less than nothing when compared to Infinity.

Let's try adding a little perspective here. Go Play with this for a bit:


Feel a bit different now? If you scrolled out pretty much at all there is no way you didn't see how absolutely tiny we are. Here's the thing though, the scroll bar starts at about the 2/3rd's mark. We are almost unfathomably larger than the stuff even a few levels down. At the same time you can't even see the earth anymore if you go up a few levels. I hope you're as blown away by this as I am. 

Does infinity feel like a more daunting topic now? It should, because the thing with infinity is that it is unfathomable. Regardless of how big of a thought you are able to put together it's not big enough to encompass infinity. Even if someone did come up with a thought big enough to rival the size of infinity, guess what, infinity just gets that much bigger. 

I just realized I haven't given out a formal definition for infinity yet... and I'm not going to. After a quick Google search the majority of results returned all broke the cardinal rule of definitions: You don't use the word in its definition. This is fine though, because it just furthers my point that infinity is pretty tricky to understand!

"Bla bla bla, get to the point already!"-You, the reader
"Yes Sir!!!(or Ma'am if you're a lady)"-Me, the writer

I've been trying this whole time to impress upon you at least a hint of how incredibly large infinity is, because without a reasonable perspective my point will lose some of its punch. With that in mind here we go...

I've seen infinity. That unlimited thing we can't hope to comprehend. I see it every day. I see it in the form of GRACE. I've seen INFINITE GRACE. And that grace comes from an INFINITE GOD. Before any of us were born we were cursed with sin, a penalty to which the end result is DEATH. But! "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

We need look no further than Jesus Christ to see infinity in it's fullest amount. Through Jesus God has blessed us with infinite grace. It is only through that grace that we can escape the nearly infinite grasp of sin. 

I know I'm not a great writer, but I sincerely hope you got something out of this. And a special shout out to the person who encouraged me to write on this topic, you know who you are. Now if you don't mind, I need to go give my finite praise to a God of infinite grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment