Wednesday, July 24, 2013

"He's dead Jim" - Leonard 'Bones' McCoy


That statement right there... That effectively describes me this very moment.

.... Well not literally, but figuratively it's spot on. The reason for my metaphysical demise? The action of putting one foot in front of the other in a swift, elongated, rhythmic pattern. Or what normal people call running.

As I am writing this I can honestly say I am none to fond of the idea of running. It makes me tired, sweaty and sore. Given my current perspective I can see no good reason why I should ever waste my time and effort on running ever again... but, God willing, I am going to go running again. Probably in the near future. It won't be because I listened to the Me that's talking right now, we've already gone over how he's anti-running. I'll do it because the Me 45 minutes from now will have a rational head on his shoulders and he'll know it was good for me. He'll be thanking the Me of now for his hard work and he'll be preparing for the future run that he's planning on doing. 

I think the idea that I'm trying to portray here, if I'm saying anything coherent at all, is this: That living in/for the 'here and now' is both an exhausting and potentially depressing idea to me.  I should be clear here, I am not anti-'here and now' in small doses, quite the contrary. I believe living in the moment can be fun and some of my best memories are things I just did on a whim. All I am trying to say is that I cannot live that way. Let's take a gander at what is in my opinion the key word to that phrase/lifestyle: "living".

To me this implies two things, first: living is an action, it's one we do at all times. It could also be described as something we are constantly in the process of doing. Taking that into consideration we can now apply it to our phrase: "Person is always in the process of being in/for the 'here and now'. This is more focused on the "in" part and it explains why I think it's exhausting. Any action that you have to do constantly will eventually drain your batteries. Second: We take what we already know from the first idea of "living in" and now apply it to "for" portion we get something that sounds like this: "Person is always in the process of looking Forward to future 'here and now's'. I know this sounds somewhat contradictory, so I'll try and elaborate. The person I'm describing always needs to be in the 'here and now', that being said 'now' is a fluid term -- it's always on the move. You are reading this sentence right now. When you started reading this sentence, the last sentence became old, and no longer 'now'. It's the same for these 'here and now' moments, one second they're here, the next they're gone. As such this person must always be ready to accept the next moment as the 'here and now'. This person cannot risk looking too far ahead lest he miss the moment he's in. This idea of not being able to look into the future is what depresses me most. This is probably because I really enjoy looking forward to things to come!

Here's a good example: A few weeks ago a certain EPIC cinematic event was released to the public for their enjoyment. If you talk to anyone who knows me at all, they will undoubtedly tell you I was more that a little excited for this movie. And why shouldn't I have been?! Giant robots fighting giant monsters? Yes and thank you. Sadly however this pales in comparison to something I'm way more excited for.

I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” -- Revelation 21:2-5

To cite one of my contemporaries, "It's gonna be dope". And yes, it is.

So to sum up, in the time it took me to write this post I've transitioned from the me who was mad about running, to the me who is glad I did it (Thanks old Me!) and can appreciate the benefits. I hope and pray that the day comes soon when I'll be able too look back on the me of now and say "wow, that guy was no where near excited enough for the awesomeness that he was looking forward to!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment